Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Thumbless

They're coming towards me. He's got a lightweight plastic bag. The girl gets the bunny box. Actually it's a cat box, but I can't see the manufacturers suing.

The rabbit sees me some distance off. Its casualness fooling nobody. It's heavy. Grey furred folds of skin. A skin too large for its body. Been at the vets huh?

The girl tries to keep up with the guy. Half a step behind. Hot in the midday sun. Why is she carrying the heavy box? His feelings about the bunny leave a swirling wake. Bunny knows it too.

I stare at the rabbit. Now I'm a fox. He twitches and cares not. I slink and turn my head, glancing sideways to his gaze. Ice bunny.

Now I'm a dog, a big dog. Nothing. He whiskers me again. Damn. No opposable thumbs - that's the curse of my species. He knows I can't open the box.

Safe, he passes. I straighten, sandwich bound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home